You know you have worked hard to get where you are today, but what about the future? To develop the physical strength and mental outlook you will need in times to come, see that your personal needs are met at mid-life and beyond. Check these areas:
- In what ways are you ignoring your physical needs? Do you get enough sleep, find time to exercise, eat right, and take your vitamins? Fuel your body properly for maximum performance.
- Are your social needs being met? Attend to them by having good relationships with family, friends, and co-workers. Have at least two evenings a month where you go out just for fun. Work is important but shouldn't dominate your entire life.
- How about emotional needs? Pay attention to how you are feeling and have someone to share your feelings with. Are you comfortable with anger and do you allow yourself to grieve over a sad occurrence or loss?
- Everyone has spiritual needs, but they are met in different ways. Some people pray, others meditate. Others meet spiritual needs through 12-step groups where they are reminded of a higher power. And for some people, their spirituality involves being in the moment, finding gratitude in the day, or being outdoors in nature.
- The last need is to have a purpose in life, whether it is raising your children, having a successful marriage, getting ahead at work, or something else. Everyone needs to know the direction they want to travel and enjoy the journey.